Sunday, March 25, 2007

The L-word

Yesterday, I began a new 12-week project that I've been waiting for since 11th grade. It excites me as a way to escape from the harsh reality of TFA, and at the same time makes me more anxious than anything I've done thus far. In a word (well, actually it's an acronym, but still) - LSAT.

My friend Anna (another TFA teacher) and I began our study program yesterday, taking a practice LSAT to see where we're starting from. Surprisingly, we had almost the exact same results, and we're both starting in a relatively good place.

The next 12 weeks until June 4th, when we'll take the exam, we've placed ourselves on a strict schedule of practice and study to be ready by test day. It's funny how much we've used the skills we use each day with our kids - only now the tables have turned and it is WE who have become the test-takers.

The goal is to take the exam in June and then apply for law schools in the fall.

In other news, Miller (the school where I teach) is getting a new 6th grade teacher this week. She'll be replacing a teacher who was moved within the district due to a sexual harassment claim made by one of his students. The new teacher has no teaching experience, is entering the classroom from a career in banking, and will be observing my classroom all day Monday. Since I'm one of only two 6th grade teachers currently teaching both science and social studies, my principal thought it a good idea for the new teacher to observe my class. Hopefully she doesn't get scared off when she sees how misbehaved my kids can be sometimes.

Monday will also be a new beginning for my classroom management and incentive strategies - in other words, how I'm going to get the kids to do what I want them to. Up until now, I've mainly relied on the negative consequence approach (do what I say and you won't drop your conduct grade, get kicked out of class, or written up via office referral). While that seems to work best for my kids, I'm trying a more positive approach this week since Leanne (my partner teacher) will be out yet another week.

My plan is to group my kids by small groups and then have each small group compete against one another for group points. They will earn points by keeping a clean area, being quiet, turning in all their work, etc. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: