Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again

After four days back in action, I'm still going strong. I came back with a refreshed sense of energy and possibility. Before leaving, I wasn't really sure how my kids were going to achieve our goals, but now I am more determined than ever to meet them.

I don't really know where all the energy is coming from, but I'm glad it's here. Prior to the break, I was definitely running on empty. Now, it's as if the sense of a second chance due to the new year is giving me the confidence and motivation to really put it all on the line this last half of the year.

Already, I've lost two students and gained three more, one of whom is only a few years out of Nigeria.

My partner teachers and I really laid down the law the other day with our students. We just had an honest discussion about what "success" was. We reviewed all of our expectations and told them how we were really going to be firm this last half of the year. Our job is to prepare them for middle school next year, and in order to do that, the babying will have to stop.

Of all the things I am not confident in, my discipline is probably numero uno. Since our lay-down-the-law session though, I've really gained a lot of ground in the authority and disciplinarian area. I've just adopted the mindset that I'm not going to put up with the little annoying behaviors anymore that certain students choose to engage in because they know they can steal my attention, and thus the attention of all of their classmates. I've started just sending kids out of my room and into another classroom, and they hate this. It works very well actually and allows me to actually get some teaching done with the rest of my students.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not giving up on those students who I'm kicking out. But, I truly believe that you have to gain control of the situation before any learning can occur. When they think that they can wrestle the control away from you, of course a sixth grader is going to prefer that to learning about the rock cycle.

I'm gaining ground though, which leaves me feeling a lot better. Let's hope this continues.

No comments: