Sunday, July 23, 2006

Trained and Ready to Go

I've officially been in Houston now for 7 weeks, which should make me a legal resident, aside from the fact that I haven't registered with the DMV yet (actually, in Texas it's the Dept of Public Safety).

That being said, I've already completed my official Teach For America training and am ready to begin putting things in order for my 6th grade science/social studies classroom at Miller Intermediate.

Not so fast though... I still have a TFA Orientation (beginning at 8am tomorrow), school district new teacher orientation, and a series of campus staff development sessions before I can focus solely on my classroom and kids.

A side note... I technically haven't secured housing yet. While my things might be all setup in a 4-bedroom house with 3 other TFA guys, the landlord is considering kicking me out. Get this - she only wants 3 people in her 4-bedroom house. Granted, she's 60 years-old and raised all her children in this house, so she has somewhat of a sentimental attachment on the property, but I think she's being unreasonable. I'm currently still trying to convince her that she could not find 4 better guys to live in her house. I've given her references, personal assurances, my official employment letter, and I've emptied my bank account to make the security deposit larger. We shall see what she decides.

Other than that, Houston is amazing! Okay; minus the weather and mosquitoes, it's not all that bad.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sounds like she wants a little more from the southern boy... maybe some sweet tea and grits?