Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Two Days Left...

I desperately need a break. Today was the roughest yet and the outlook does not portend well for tomorrow or Friday.

We started homeroom this morning with another power failure. The last time it happened, my students remained relatively calm - not the case today. I had them write letters to me about what they were doing for Thanksgiving. One of my students addressed her's to "Mr. Williams."

By the time we got into Block 1, I had to abandon my lesson which required us to use the computer lab. Since we were so off schedule, I had already lost my time slot for the computer lab, so I somehow managed to turn checking last night's homework into a 15-min activity. That's what I call stretching!

Block 2 was bouncing off the walls today. They were so incredibly loud. For some reason, they really got investing in working with the computers. But, as soon as we returned to the classroom is was all downhill. At one point, my partner teacher had to come over from one room over and yell at them because we were disturbing all three classrooms that surround mine. Ridiculous. This is the third time that's happened for me in that particular block of students. While I welcome my partner teacher's help in getting them under control, it's just really humiliating to me that she feels it necessary to come over.

I have to find a way to get them under control. I fight the urge to constantly be stern, but the minute I show them a human side it's like they don't know how to act. They respond by either behaving completely barbaric or by laughing so loud that it becomes a disturbance.

Then, I had Taylor in Block 3. Within the first 15 mins of class, Taylor had already received two discipline marks for not following directions and for chewing gum. One I gave him the second mark, he got so angry that he literally got up and walked out of my room. He went into the hallway and sat down outside my door. I decided to give him room to cool off and chose to ignore his behavior - at least, I made him think that. As I was keeping my distance but with an ever-watchful eye, Taylor proceeded to get closer and closer to the doorway, desperately trying to bait me into a confrontation. When he realized that it wouldn't work, it proceeded to start crying. He got louder and louder and finally until he was finally lying in my doorway, sprawled out, crying like a crazy person.

That's when my partner teacher walked by with her class, headed for the restroom. They had no idea how to take Taylor's behavior. The students in her class were befuddled at his childish tantrum. I gave Taylor the ultematim of acting like a sixth grader or going to the office. He chose to act like a sixth grader.

Is this really happening? Is my life really this crazy right now?

The good news in all this is that I had a lot fun last night at the UGA Archway to Excellence event held at the Houston Country Club. It was so great to see the administration and advisors from college. I even met a women who wants to give me a donation of 300 books that she's been trying to find a home for.

Two days left...

No comments: