Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Front Line: Houston

Who knew when I moved to Houston that I'd wind up on the front line of the 2008 presidential election? The past few months leading up to tonight's "Texas two-step" combined primary and caucus has been extremely exciting!

Arguably, my vote has never really counted in Georgia. At least, it never felt like it did. It always felt like I was going through the motions. All the excitement of the campaigns was evident on TV but was absent in Georgia. Georgia is a red state. Actually, it's a maroon state.

Due to Hillary's dependence on the Hispanic vote (and the close delegate count in the lead-up to now), Texas has become a crucial state to both campaigns. As the fourth-largest city in America and the largest city in Texas, Houston is ground zero for the campaigns. I feel like either Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, or Barack Obama have been in Houston every day for the past three weeks.

I've included several photos of a life's dream come true--I saw all three Clintons in one week! I met Bill (a true personal hero--minus the moral ineptitude) at a fundraiser. I met Chelsea and saw Hillary speak--from six feet away!--at a last-minute union speech in Houston a few weeks ago. It was exhilarating to say the least.

I'm watching the returns right now and Texas is still too close to call, in large part because they are waiting for returns from Houston. I can't tell you how exciting it is to have this feeling that my vote--MY VOTE--actually counts for something.

Go Hillary!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.