Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Obama on Education

Though I'm staunchly for Hillary (who, me?), I must admit that this speech Obama gave in Beaumont, Texas last week has to be the best speech I've heard any of the candidates deliver yet on education reform.

As a teacher, he hits on all the high points--test reform, merit pay, pay raise, more time for professional development. But, most importantly, he wasn't afraid to be honest with his audience. The truth is, the only way to ensure we leave no child behind is not only to reform our schools but to reform our parenting.

America, rightfully so, is fearful of telling parents how to do their job. Though I'm not sure it is the place of government to step-in and teach parents how to be good parents, I do think government can spur community and social groups to do so. As a country, we must make parent-training a national priority.

It's so very obvious which of my students have great parents--painfully obvious. It's obvious when I hold parent conferences, which of these parents know what they're doing and are committed to following through versus just "surviving" their children. When I talked to a parent this afternoon about her son, she asked me how I thought she should discipline Carlos for talking in class. There was something in her voice--I could tell she wasn't asking for another perspective but was legitimately asking for advice on how to be a good parent. She's only a few years older than I am. I didn't have the heart to say, "Ma'am, I'm only 24 years old and have never raised children. I'm not the expert on how to be a good parent."

Obama's speech speaks to the realizations I've come to from two years in the classroom. I hope to continue to see (and hear) education reform from all the candidates... after No Child Left Behind, America desperately needs this national conversation!

No comments: