Thursday, August 30, 2007

On Fire for Science

Today was a great day for science in room 417. I officially began my academic instruction today, the fourth day of the year, seeing how the first three days were spent reviewing routines, rules and procedures, not to mention completing the endless mounds of forms from the front office.

I decided that I wanted to do something today that would really capture my students' attention for the rest of the year, really turning them on for science this year. Over the summer, I presented a TFA in-service for first-year TFA'ers with another '07 Corps Member, John Won. We talked about how to make science a hands-on learning experience. In the process of preparing for the presentation, we traded our best hands-on lessons and today I used one of John's.

I'll let you view the video for yourself, but basically I used a rolling ball of flames to demonstrate lab safety with my students. To protect myself, I donned goggles, a hat, and an oven mit. I even had one student on "fire extinguisher duty." It was great.

I think you can tell from the video that the student reaction was resounding. It was a total hit. In fact, it was also a hit with the other teachers. Tonight, I'm writing curriculum so that the other 6th grade science teachers can present the lesson tomorrow and throughout next week.

Today really has me excited for the potential this year has to be a huge success in room 417.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow....I could really feel the excitement the kids had...I know you are going to have a great year...wish some of my science classes could have been more like this...keep up the good work...Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Holy COW Matthew, that's just incredible! I love it! I had a dorky geek of a man when I was in sixth grade. I hated him... anywho- that's awesome! I miss you, let me know when you'll be back in good ole' Griffin. I'm going to go to Middle Georgia in the winter/spring. Jan 08. I'm'a move down there. I can't wait. I'm so sick of my job... hasn't even been a complete year!
LOVE!