Thursday, August 02, 2007

Social Promotion

The NYTimes published an article yesterday about a first-year math teacher who resigned from his Manhattan school because of disagreements with the school administration over passing a student who had failed by all accounts.

It's a very interesting article and reminds me of how frustrated I was at the end of the past school year. Out of almost 80 students, about 50 were failing at least one of my two classes. I attributed this high number of failing grades to my system of high expectations and rigorous assessments. I demanded a lot from my students. Many fellow teachers (and some administrators) were quick to point out amid parental complaints that it was simply because of my inexperience that so many of my students were failing. Sure, that played a part, but I went above and beyond to provide supplemental opportunities in order to compensate for any teaching handicaps I might have had and not realized. These opportunities included giving every student the opportunity to retake any assessment they did not receive an 80% or higher on.

During the last week of class, after I had turned in my final grades, I realized that many students (less than 20) were failing both of my classes and most of these students were also failing other classes. As a result and according to the academic standards outlined in our student handbooks, these students should have been retained in sixth grade. However, what I came to realize was that these students were actually sent to seventh grade - some didn't even have to go to summer school! When I voiced my complaints to the administration, I was told that they weren't "promoted" but simply "placed" into seventh grade. Placing a student into another grade means that they will have to demonstrate proficiency in the first nine weeks or risk being demoted back to sixth grade. How often does a "placed" student become demoted back a grade? It's never happened at my school.

The administration tried to remedy my complaints with this flawed reasoning--what they don't realize is that it doesn't matter to a 12 year old whether they are "placed" or "promoted." They still get to go to the next grade level! This only leads to a developed mentality of needing to perform only minimally to graduate.

But the bigger problem here is what the students aren't taking with them to the next grade level - mastery of the previous grade's expected learning outcomes. Year after year of passing these students into the next grade level is only disabling our future workforce, sending them into society with little to no actual learning or skill sets. We're almost guaranteeing that our students will end up in the vicious cycle of poverty.

I can definitely identify with the teacher in the story, Mr. Lampros. If I was going into education as a career, there's no way I'd be able to take my self seriously as a professional when I know at the end of the year all my students will be passed forward, regardless of their academic achievement or lack thereof.

The link to the story is below.
Published: August 1, 2007
For one teacher, the introduction to his new high school’s academic standards proved a fitting preamble to a disastrous year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize the system was that bad. And they wonder why our youth of today are as irresponsible and flippant in their attitudes. They're used to getting what they want without having to work for it. I have great respect for you, Matthew, for taking the TFA position. You are making a difference just as Austin Lampros is making a difference. Don't give up. The world needs people like you and Austin to help our youth be better prepared for life. Thank you for all you do. Mrs. C.