Thursday, August 02, 2007

Work Time at the CDC


This past week, I participated in the Science Ambassador Program at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. The program teamed 8 secondary science teachers from across the country (and Canada) with CDC scientists to develop original curriculum addressing the areas of research the CDC is currently working within.

Specifically, I wrote lesson plans that dealt with HIV/AIDS and teenage dating violence. I felt these were the two subject areas that had a direct impact on my sixth graders.

The program went very well and we were also able to tour most of the different departments/labs/centers at the CDC. We saw the Director's Emergency Operation Center where bioterrorism disasters are managed and we were given an up-close look at the Level 3 laboratories that work with strains of ricin and anthrax. Overall, it was very cool!

I was also able to catch up with many friends in the Atlanta area while I was there. Mom was even able to come up for dinner Friday before I had to be at the airport.

It was really exciting seeing all the different types of jobs at the CDC. I never knew that there were so many job opportunities in public health for non-laboratory researchers.

No comments: