Tuesday, October 24, 2006

All I Ask for is Respect

I had it in college - from everyone. Teachers respected me as a student and treated me as an adult. They knew my time and money were both precious and wasted neither. Advisors/Supervisors knew that I had little experience, but respected the hard work and effort I put into all my endeavors. They helped to point out areas where I could improve, but in doing so, treated me as a professional, with respect.

At Miller Intermediate, life is a little different. While I feel that I have respect for the most part from the parents, the administration, and my supervisors, it is more than lacking from the students. It's just so hard to put so much into a job when your target audience treats you like shit everyday.

Today, my nastiest student crossed a line. I threw her out of my classroom and called the AP. I told the AP that I refused to take verbal abuse from a 12 year-old. And I shouldn't have to.

Sierra entered my room today chewing gum (there has been a severe breakout of gum-chewing lately), so like I do with all offenders, I asked her to spit it in the trashcan and asked for her planner so that I could give her a discipline mark. At first she complied, understanding that she violated a rule. But she refused to let me give her a mark and wouldn't give me her planner, despite my stern protests.

Finally, I gave her an ultimatum. I told her that she could a) receive a mark and we could move on, or b) she would have to leave my room. I refused to allow her to hijack my classtime, as happens on a regular basis. Eventually, she folded and handed over her planner. As I walked away after marking her planner, I heard her mutter "I wish he'd die."

I was on my way across the room to help another student when I heard it. My instinct was to go ballistic, but instead I stopped. Allowing Sierra to bait me into a confrontation never works, so I chose instead to ignore this comment since it was said under her breath and only 1 or 2 other students heard her. I pretended that I never heard the comment and proceeded to help other students.

Meanwhile, Sierra decides that she is not going to do the in-class assignment and out of the corner of my eye, I notice she is throwing hers away in the trashcan. Fine, I tell myself; that's her choice. I decide not to say anything about it and allow her to sit quietly at her desk and make paper fans, which is currently keeping her silent and in her desk. As long as she's not disturbing any other students, she can make origami for all I care.

The portion of class dedicated to Science ends and I ask for everyone to turn in their assignments. Sierra is continuing her silent protest, so I continue to leave her be.

Then, the downward spiral suddenly entered hyperspeed.

As I was beginning Social Studies, Sierra takes advantage of a pause in my instruction to blurt out a question.

"Mr. Wilson, why did you decide to teach? Because you suck!"

That was it. That was beyond it. She not only crossed a line, she was running past it. Without missing a beat, I demanded that she leave my classroom as I walked over to the phone and informed the AP that I was putting her out in the hallway and she would have to come get her. I will not be the verbal prisoner of a 12 year-old!

I mean, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

The one factor compounding the situation is that Sierra is one of my highest performing students. She made one of the highest scores on our most recent DCA. Why, then, is she resorting to such belligerent misbehavior?

I called Sierra's Dad and he'll be meeting with me at school tomorrow to further discuss what happened. He kept me on the phone tonight while he chewed her out - that was nice to hear. Hopefully it has some impact on her behavior.

No comments: