Thursday, September 14, 2006

Andrea is Homeless

I'm writing this Thursday morning, because Wednesday night I was too exhausted to do anything but type in a few grades and then crash into my pillow. Wednesdays have become an all-out marathon to get through the day, and then get through a graduate course I'm required to take for certification. The course runs from 5:30-8:15pm.

I found out yesterday that one of my students is homeless. Her family is a New-Orleans "transplant" family via Hurricane Katrina. Andrea's mom reached out to me early to make sure I understood all of the district/state/federal-required modifications I have to utilize for Andrea, due to her characteristics of dyslexia. She also told me that their family was in transitional housing right now, while they work on finding employment and housing in Houston.

Yesterday the counselor emailed me to let me know that the family is officially homeless and is seeking placement in a local shelter. The family is made up of mom, dad, and 5 children, who have all been spread out among family members and foster homes throughout the city. They are also utilizing district vouchers for school uniforms and supplies.

I find the whole situation just really sad. I was the closest to breaking down emotionally yesterday afternoon that I have been since arriving in Houston. Andrea is one of my hardest working students and has made it known that she really enjoys my homeroom and classes. The fact that she does so well, despite all the challenges she faces at home and with her learning disabilities is an inspiration for me to work even harder to ensure her success.

The fact that now all that is in jeopardy because she might be pulled out of school due to homelessness is enough to just drive me over the edge of an emotional cliff.

Better stop things there; it's time for me to head to morning staff meeting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out”

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Shawshank Redemption

Sam said...

Matthew,
I love reading about your kids. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who carries their baggage home at night. Those emotional cliffs mean you care. And you caring means a lot. Don't forget that. And don't give up. You are some of the only stability in Andrea's life. And in my best "buck up" football coach voice I'd say: she needs your excellent teaching more than she needs your tears. You are making a difference for her, remember the positives when the negatives weigh you down.

And since we can't be friends on the weekends, I better see you at teacher happy hour tomorrow night.

Love,
Sam