Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Even Parents of Bad Kids Care

Today I had a meeting with Taylor's (the names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent) mother. Taylor is the worst behaved student out of all 80 students I see on a daily basis. His daily routine generally involves severe teacher disrespect, wondering aimlessly around the room, negotiating why his behevior is not inappropriate, and vexing as many students as he possible can.

I don't know what I was expecting from the meeting with his mother, but I was blown away. This woman definitely knew her son, for better or for worse. She knew he was no angel; from from it, in fact.

Regardless of her telling me about her new baby or recent marriage so as to confirm my initial notions that Taylor is simply seeking attention in any form available, she still understood that the blame for Taylor's misbehavior rests with Timothy. She understood that sixth grade is a growing-up point and it is imperative that our students understand and are able to link consequences to their misbehaviors.

She even told me that she had taken away all of Taylor's new clothes, sneakers, and video games and established a system whereby he will have to earn them back - one good grade at a time.

She completely reconfirmed a fact that TFA has been adament that I understand - Parents - *ALL* parents - care about the future of their son or daughter. All parents want their child to succeed in school and bring home good grades. Regardless of a parent's financial or educational situation, they care about ensuring their child the best possible educational opportunities available, period.

Taylor's mother proved to me today that this is completely true. The sad part is that I'm not sure this resonated with my more-experienced partner teachers. I fear that they have been teaching for so long, that too many nights of feeling desperate for relief in any form of the misbehavior from students like Taylor has caused them to develop a jaded sense of reality. In their minds, parents of children like Taylor simply don't care, otherwise they would make sure their children were displaying only the best behavior while at school.

The one thing I heard Taylor's mother say above everything else was about a comment Taylor had made a few days ago. She said that he casually mentioned to her that he wished all his teachers were male teachers. I am the only male teacher Taylor has. It's so clear - this child needs a positive male role model in his life; someone who is going to correct his misbehavior, but also reinforce his positive behavior, giving him a renewed sense of pride in his schoolwork.

After today, I rededicated myself to ensuring that every one of my students, especially Taylor, masters the skills they need for middle school next year.

And I'm making sure Taylor has a positive male role model.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

You are and have been a positive male role model for a long time.
Moogie

Anonymous said...

Matthew,
You are an excellent role model for this young man. Just remember you may not think you're making much of an impact but you will touch his life in ways you never dreamed.

I never doubted that you would achieve great things and what better impact than to shape a child's life?

Mrs. Carol