Monday, September 18, 2006

Incredible Power

Today I realized the incredible power I now wield as a professional in my community. I've sort of thought about it before - for example, when I realize how much instant credibility I have calling parents as the "teacher." But today, it really struck a chord with me.

My AP called me this morning to let me know that she had called the Alief Police (yes, my school district has its very own police department) to file a report against Marcus's mom. She also said that there was an officer posted at the front door for my protection. I was to leave my door closed all day and administrators would be patroling all entryways throughout the day.

When I talked to the police officer to file the report, I couldn't help but think that I was only 22 and Marcus's mom must be at least 40. It just didn't seem like it could be real.

Everything turned out fine today. Marcus's mother never showed up. The report was filed and the AP called Marcus's mom to inform her of the report. She is meeting with the AP tomorrow morning, so we'll see what comes out of that meeting.

As for me, I'm trying to grapple with the new sense of being a "professional." And not in the sense of living on my own away from home, paying my own bills, making my own money... but in the sense of having the utmost respect of those around me and the power to have parents arrested (which is what would have happened to Marcus's mom had she come to school today). It just seems wierd to me that 4 months out of college I have this intense power and responsibility.

On the upside, I got my jeep back from the mechanic today with one brand new window and two that now roll up when I push the button. Thank goodness - now I can go back to eating drive-thru Taco Bell!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grappling with this new sense of "professional" certainly has it's ups and down...as I expected....you handled yourself very well with the phone conversation on Sunday with Marcus's Mom and followed good protocol steps in handling this...as upsetting as this can be, you kept your cool with the student's best interest in mind, whether you realize it or not...it is awful that such extreme measures have to be in place to protect everyone, but I still struggle with the thought of how did we as a nation get into such a mess that you have to worry, not only about students with guns, but parents shouting terroristic threats over the telephone to teachers who are helping their children make something of themselves....guess I'll never understand it and am glad I'm still volunteering with 4-H kids...keep up the good work, Matt...I'm very proud of you...Love Mom

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Pat! You are an allstar Matt! And what better way to end the day then with Taco Bell! Have a great rest of the week and Homecoming is so soon!

Sam said...

Um... your mom comments on your blog? That is so completely adorable (see, I didn't say cute). Hi Matt's mom, don't worry, we're taking care of him.

You rock Mr. Wilson, you're the first of our group to be threatened by a parent and survive. Now I feel better for when my time comes. Lets be honest, I work at the Mac, sooner or later my time will come.

You're going to bail on us for the beach on Saturday aren't you? Hope we can be friends Friday night, but I'm NOT sending out the email.

Sam